St. Mary’s takes its responsibility for children, young people and vulnerable adults very seriously and their welfare is paramount in all areas of parish life.
Clergy, lay staff and volunteers who work within the organisation and/or as part of the congregation are required to follow good policy and practice to ensure that children, young people and vulnerable adults are safeguarded and nurtured physically, emotionally and spiritually. High professional standards are maintained in all worship and all pastoral, counselling, educational, and recreational situations involving children, young people and vulnerable adults.
To facilitate this all clergy, lay staff, volunteers and members of the congregation working with or seeking to work with children, young people and/or vulnerable adults are properly recruited, screened, trained and supported.
St. Mary’s Safeguarding Officer is Jane Baker, who can be contacted via the office. An alternative safeguarding representative is the Reverend Ian Meredith, who can be contacted on email@example.com or 02392 375422.
THE POLICY STATEMENT FOR THE SAFEGUARDING OF CHILDREN & VULNERABLE ADULTS AT THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY’S, PORTCHESTER MAY BE SEEN ON THE CHURCH NOTICE BOARD
Also as per the current Safeguarding Policy Document of St. Mary’s Portchester the PCC has formally adopted the House of Bishop’s ‘Promoting a Safer Church’ Policy.
We also work in collaboration with the Portsmouth Diocese Safeguarding Team – see here for more information, and for guidance if you are concerned that a child or adult who may be vulnerable has been harmed and urgent action is needed.
Other Helpful Links:
- Portsmouth Safeguarding Children
- Portsmouth Safeguarding Adults
- NSPCC: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
- Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Modern Slavery Partnership
- Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse : 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm).
- The Survivor’s Trust: 08088 010 818 (free phone Monday to Wednesday 10am-7.30pm, Thursday 10am-6pm, Friday 10am-2pm)